I’ve been craving for Spur’s nachos for a long time now and for a family of six, a trip to Spur can cost you a fortune. So after dropping the kids at a party on Saturday, I went by the store to pick up some items that I might need for the week ahead and also in an attempt to save some money, look for some sort of boxed meal kit resembling the nachos I so craved for. I was surprised at the price of a boxed kit that would’ve probably only satisfied my craving. What would the rest of the family have for supper? So being the “cheapie” that I am I opted to just do my own thing.
All you need is:
- 2 Bags Big Korn Bites Tortilla style chips
- 1 Can Tomato and onion mix
- 1 Tub chunky cottage cheese
- 2-3 Avocados
- Cheddar cheese (I used white cheddar as well)
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Firstly, I thickened the tomato and onion mix by simmering it in a pan on the stove top. I added a bit of mixed herbs, ground black pepper, salt and a dash op soy sauce. Set aside. You can add some sugar to minimize the acidic taste.
- I made the guacamole by mashing the avocados and adding some lemon juice, chopped fresh coriander leaves, salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Everything gets layered onto an ovenproof plate(I used my normal side plates) in the following order:
- Tortilla chips
- Tomato mix
- Chunky cottage cheese (dollop)
- Tortilla chips
- Cheese – lots of it!
- This gets grilled in the oven until the cheese is completely melted.
- Once removed from the oven, top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and as much guacamole as you like!
Kids loved it. Husband loved it. I loved it. Everyone’s tummy was full.
We all win! This will definitely be on the menu again.
Let me know if you’ve tried it by tagging me in your pics on Instagram, Facebook or twitter. Like and share if you love the post.